the 17th 18th and 19th centuries there
were many breaks in continuity and changes in the form of worship used
in the parish churches. The changes were imposed on congregations by
politicians and by religious leaders, but not always without opposition.
The Covenanting movement was strong in this area, and at another
time a chosen minister was rejected by the local people.
The Roberton one was sold, and the Abington one was eventually
dismantled. The Free Church at Crawfordjohn with its date embossed on
the exterior 1850 was used variously, including as a workshop studio by
the late Sadie McLellan, Artist in Glass of
whom more can be learned in the Crawfordjohn Heritage Venture Museum.
This building has now been converted into a dwelling house.
the 1970's when the last of the ministers retired from office it
was decided to
unite the former parishes of Roberton and Wiston, Lamington, and
Crawfordjohn and Abington to form a new parish to be called Duneaton,
named after the tributary of the Clyde that flowed through much of the
new parish. An interim minister Mr. Tennant steered the congregation
until the appointment of the first minister the Rev Robert Johnstone,
who remained in position from 1971 till 1978.
was succeeded by the Rev Moses Donaldson who stay until 1993. After leaving the parish Moses moved to Fort Augustus and enjoyed an interesting and
far traveled career, including a prominent position in the National Bible
He subsequently died during 2006, and his obituaries reached
national daily papers.
He subsequently died during 2006, and his obituaries reached national daily papers.
The last service of regular worship in Crawfordjohn church was at Easter 1986. Several ecumenical services have been held there since it became a museum.